Sunday, March 8, 2009

China Childhood Memories - School


During WW II, my parents were stationed at the school for missionaries children. I was only 5 yrs old, but was placed in school since I was there.

At that time, the Japanese were at war with China. Planes flew overhead much of the time. Usually they were friendly aircraft. However, if enemy planes were approaching, the city put up a red balloon on a high point where all could see it. If the planes were close, a black balloon was sent up.

Our school had a "dugout" (a cave with a door) on the side of a hill. This is where we went when we had to take cover. It would not have protected us if there was a direct hit, but it was safer than being outside. During these emergencies, many Chinese streamed out of the city to get away from the threat. (This is depicted in "The Inn of Sixth Happiness" DVD which is the story of missionary Gladys Aylwood and her orphans during the war.)

Standing near the wooden door of the dugout, I could hear bombs exploding in the distance.
There was never a direct hit where we were. Thinking back, I realize that I was never afraid. I knew that the Lord would take care of us.

When the danger was gone, the city sent up a green balloon, and we could go back to our daily schedules.

The Lord definitely was watching over our 30 students and teachers during this time!

16 comments:

SmilingSally said...

I am glad that He watched over you, and that I have been able to get to know you. Thanks for sharing. Happy Spiritual Sunday.

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

Oh Ruthie I could sit had have coffee with you and listen to all of your childhood stories for hours. You are an amazing lady.
God Bless you,
Ginger

Musings of A Minister said...

Wonderful story. What a great message it presents. Thank you for sharing from your life.

♥ Kathy said...

Oh I would be so scared :( You're a very brave woman Ruthie. ♥

Julie said...

What a wonderful story! Have a restful Sunday...Julie

Charlotte said...

What a wonderful memory. You learned at an early age not to be afraid that God was taking care of you. Thank you for sharing this blessing with us today.
Charlotte

Ruthie said...

Teri (of Teri's Little Piece of Serenity) -
Where are you??? I couldn't get into your blog. I hope you come to this comment form and see my note. :)
Ruthie

Susan B said...

What a wonderful story Ruthie. I think it is wonderful to have learned to trust God at such an early age. Thank you for sharing your memories. Have a beautiful Sunday!

Anonymous said...

Ruthie you have had such an interesting childhood. I enjoy hearing about your travels and your childhood experience. I'm glad you are here with us and able to relay some of these stories to us. Blessings to you on this spiratual Sunday ♥

Cherdecor said...

The Lord certainly did watch over you. What a wonderful God we serve!

Melly said...

to have that peace and faith that you were safe in the arms of Gos is, beautiful!

a portland granny said...

I didn't realize you were there during the war years. You were indeed protected from many dangers, I know. Thanks for another China memory.

Susie said...

Hi Ruthie,
I enjoyed another of your childhood memories from China. The sweet faith you had as a child is a joy to read about..
xo

Sweetie said...

Hi Ruthie, This story is intriguing. I can almost see you as a child standing near the door of the dugout hearing the bombs. Your faith was instilled into you as a child and that is a blessing. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Sweetie

Technonana said...

What Faith!! Praising the Father that He kept you safe!!
Thanks for this very special memory.
Love,
Sharon

Rose of Sharon said...

Wow! What a story! You have had an amazing life Ruthie! The Lord certainly was watching over you!

Hugs, Sharon
P.S. You mentioned on my blog that you'd love to see my house in person. I so wish that you lived close by so that you could come for tea! If you're ever in Oregon, just let me know! :0)