Tuesday, May 27, 2008

China Childhood Memories #8 IanTsoa Hua


This is a photo of me with Ian Tsoa Hua (pronounced Yong Dzow Whaw). She was the Christian Chinese lady who took care of me when Mom and Dad both had to be gone on mission work. She was pleased to be entrusted with that responsibility and she took wonderful care of me.
After we left China, we often thought about her and wondered how she was. She was a real blessing to us.

It was very hot in China and of course there was no airconditioning or even fans. Mom wrote in her journal about a night when my Dad had to be gone on Mission business. She had her window open to try to catch a breeze. She was awakened by squawking of the chickens in the courtyard. Looking out, she saw a wildcat in the tree by her window. Quickly, she shut the window tightly, in spite of the heat. Later, they kept the chickens shut up, and the wildcat didn't come again.

We had no refrigerator or ice box, and the water was not safe to drink. They would boil the water and then hang the container of water in the breeze to cool it off. Our drinking water was always lukewarm.

We never felt deprived or concerned about this. It was just the way life was in China. My parents were happy to be there to tell these dear people about Jesus and how they could have Eternal Life.

9 comments:

Melanie said...

I really enjoy your stories about China ~ thank you!!

bp said...

I wondered if you were going to add more to the story again!

I sure wouldn't want to wake up to squawking chickens because of a wildcat!

bp said...

I will add your prayer request to the list. Thanks.

Mimi said...

I just love your stories abut China...keep them coming...
Hugs,
Mimi

Robin said...

I love the baby picture! You look so happy!

Thanks for sharing your experiences and memories they offer so much and make us realize how much we have here in America.

Julie said...

Keep 'em comming. :)

Megan DiMaria said...

Thanks for sharing your stories about China. I love them.

A prisoner of hope,
Megan

Deb said...

Beautiful Ruthie, anything for our God. Deb

April said...

I, too, am enjoying your China stories. I grew up in Japan as an MK, so I particularly liked this one. It's so true...even though things in a foreign country are different or harder than living in the US, I never felt deprived or like it was a hardship to be borne. It's just about living and being thankful wherever God puts you to minister.