Thursday, July 10, 2008

China Childhood Memories - the truck

This is one of the ways we traveled in China. They would stack luggage and bedding, and Dad and others would ride on top of the luggage while Mom and I were inside with the driver. You can see Mom and me looking out the window.

Often the truck didn't have good brakes. Whenever the truck slowed down, a man would jump out and put a piece of log under the wheel to stop it.
Once, we were riding on a narrow mountain road and Mom noticed the truck veering to the edge of a huge dropoff. Glancing at the driver, she saw he was asleep. Grabbing the steering wheel, she guided the truck back on the road. After that, she kept talking to the driver to keep him awake.

Another instance of the Lord's watch care over us in the area of transportation.

10 comments:

Nana Trish is Living the Dream said...

Thank the Lord your mom woke up the driver. That's a great story and please hop over to my blog, I have something for you.

Melanie said...

Wow! Great pic! God is so good. You certainly understand the protection of the Lord. He is so good!

bp said...

Oh dear! That would have given me quite a scare. God was watching over you again.

Thanks for entering my blogoversary contest. I had that one marked July 12 so it would stay at the top of my blog and people would notice it!

Robin said...

Wow, what an experience! God has had his hand on your life since the start!

Anonymous said...

Hi Ruthie! Wow, what a story and you even have pictures! God was looking out for your family! You do have some wonderful stories to tell - I just love hearing about your childhood days in China.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Connie said...

Ruthie, sweet little chickadee, I found you from another blog. My mom was called Ruthie and I just had to visit with you. I'm going to read more about you tomorrow, but come over and visit with me, sweetpea! I think I'm gonna love ya and your blog! ;-) Anyone that has a memorial with a flag ceremony is alllll right in my book, lovey. I'll have to read more though. I just skimmed it quickly as it's very late and I'm beat!
Smoochies,
Connie

Jan Parrish said...

Hmm. I wonder if this is why you don't like those type of mountain roads. I'll bet you remember this deep in your subconscious. Great story.

Very cute photo. I wish you had more of them.

Jeanette said...

Gday Ruthie, Another blog hopper,
Oh what a frightning ride that must have been no brakes going around the mountain and the driver falling asleep..And such a well kept Photo to treasure...

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

What a wonderful story Ruthie, as I've gotten to know you I think you'll have many more to share. I am always amazed at your photo's, it takes a person back in time. His watchful eye :).

Charlotte said...

Another interesting China story. Thanks for sharing.