Friday, February 5, 2010

China Childhood Memories #31-Chinese New Year

This is Mae Ling, my Chinese doll. She speaks a few words of Chinese and then says the word in English. As Chinese New Year is February 14th, I decided to tell you about my time in China during that time.

It was a time of great celebration in China. They had feasts,parades, and firecrackers. I can remember the noises of the firecrackers going off and being very disconcerted as a child. We were in our compound and the noise was very loud and seemed to go on for a long long time.

The celebrations went on for several days. Before the celebrations, they cleaned their houses to sweep away ill fortune. This was a time for family celebrations, honoring the elder members of the households, and holding feasts of pig, duck, chicken, fish, and sweet delicacies. They made paper lanterns and long paper dragons and paraded in the streets. They ended with firecrackers, which were thought to scare away the evil spirits. These firecrackers were made with gun powder rolled in red papers. They were then strewn together by the hundreds and were known for their deafening explosions. (Now, as an adult, I can see why the loud noises were frightening to me as a child.) In the morning, the children wished their parents a happy and prosperous new year, and the parents gave their children money in small red envelopes.

Many of these traditions still go on today, although in some areas the firecrackers have been banned because of the danger of fire.

I am thankful that my trust in the true God, Jesus Christ, and that I do not have to light off firecrackers to scare away the evil spirits.

8 comments:

Sue said...

Hi Ruthie! Thank you for sharing this today, I so enjoyed reading this post. Yes! Jesus is all I need.
Have a blessed weekend.
Blessings,
Sue

Anonymous said...

Ruthie!! Hi! How are you? It's so nice to hear from you! What a sweet doll and I love hearing your stories of China!
Hope all is well with you. I lost my blog list a little while back and lost YOU! Now I've got you again and will put you back in my list!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Technonana said...

Love the story as always...nope only have to speak the name of Jesus!! Praise the Lord!

Cherdecor said...

Your stories of China when you were a little girl are always very interesting. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Megan DiMaria said...

I love your stories, Ruthie. One thing that I like today was that part of the holiday included cleaning the house. That cracks me up. We need to have a house-cleaning holiday in the US.

Anonymous said...

Good morning Ruthie, I just love hearing your stories of growing up in China. You have had so many experiences that none of us have had. Thank you for sharing with us. I love your little doll ♥

Charlotte said...

I'm glad too, Ruthie. Hope you're having a beautiful Valentine's Day and Chinese New Year.
Blessings,
Charlotte

Unknown said...

Good day to all am  From USA..Texas am so happy sharing this great testimony on here, I was diagnose of Stage IV colon cancer.i was checking for solution in the internet then miraculously i came Across Dr Itua herbal center the powerful herbal doctor that Cure Numerous Diseases such as-Thyroid Cancer,Uterine cancer,Fibroid,Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Brain Tumor,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone ToxicityBladder cancer,Brain cancer,Hiv,Herpes,Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Hodgkin lymphoma
Intestinal cancer,Kidney cancer,Hpv,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Neuroendocrine tumors
Non-Hodgkin lymphoma,Oral cancer,Ovarian cancer,Sinus cancer,Hepatitis A,B/C,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Pancreatic Cancer,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancer,
Testicular cancer,Tach Diseases,Leukemia,Liver cancer,Throat cancer,
Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresS sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Copd,Parkinson,Als,Adrenocortical carcinoma  Infectious mononucleosis. ,I contacted him based on the testimonies I?m seeing about him on the internet, I was cured too by him, kindly contact him today through his email he can help you.     drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com  web and his herbal medicines will set you free from any human diseases,all thank you Dr Itua herbal center for your kind help in my life. His Mobile number Whatsapp.+2348149277967.