Friday, September 26, 2008

China Childhood Memories - River Trips

We had a cow in China. It didn't give us much milk, but it was better than not having one. One time while traveling up river to a new station, the river was swollen and flooding. Our cow was tied in the back section of the Chinese junk. As we moved out into the river, the cow lifted her head, and saw the wildly swirling water. She panicked and jumped overboard, nearly tipping the boat over. They cut her lose, and she swam back to shore. When she was recaptured, the boatmen tied her head lower in the junk, so she couldn't see the water. The "cow man" had to talk to the cow all the way to calm her down. And we made it safely to the next station.
Another time, my doll fell in the water, and the doll's head swelled up from being waterlogged. The Chinese boatmen thought it was a baby floating down the river, and were quite excited until they were finally convinced it was just a doll.

Sometimes, when the river narrowed and there were rapids, the boatmen would tie ropes to the junk and run along the shore, pulling the boat along. They would sing and chant, to keep in rythmn.

Traveling was certainly different in that era - and it makes me appreciate our ease of travel here in America. In many mission fields today, there are still very primitive and dangerous methods of travel. We need to pray for our missionaries.

18 comments:

Jan Parrish said...

But did you ever get your doll back?

How much did the cow eat compared to what he gave out?

Ruthie said...

I think my doll floated on down the river - probably made some other people wonder, too.

The cow grazed on the grass, I suppose. I don't really know how the cow was cared for.

bj said...

Hi, Ruthie..I was just over at SWEETIE's, looking at all the nice things you so kindly sent her. You were very generous and she seems so proud of it all. I just love blogging and all the sweet people like you and Sweetie!
love, bj

Julie said...

Better a cow and doll than a little girl. But I bet you missed that doll.

Momstheword said...

Hey, I assumed it was a GIRL COW, Jan. BOY COWS don't give milk! :) LOL... Jan, we do need to visit more next time we meet. Enjoyed meeting you.
Ruthie, what wonderful memories you have to share with us. Thank you very much.

Natalie said...

Oh Ruthie, I've missed reading your blog. I've been catching up on it, though. The flowers are beautiful, congrats on your 100th post/giveaway, and I love the scrapbook. Did I forget anything?

Natalie said...

oh Yeah...and I love the new blog title picture! Perfect for fall!

Technonana said...

I loved the story Ruthie!! Thanks for reminding us to pray for our missionaries... in our Baptist faith and I'm sure in many others, it is now very dangerous for us to even know where our missionaries are!! When we commission them, they are not allowed to tell us where they are headed.

Cheryl Nichols said...

Ruthie, just thought I would say hello. I was at technonana's and popped over to you. My daughter and her family are in Fountain,Co.
Are you near?
Cheryl

a portland granny said...

I think one of the reasons I love your stories from China is because I loved studying about China when I was a grammar school girl. It always intrigued me how the families lived on the rivers.

So many of your experiences point out the goodness of our God in keeping all of you safe!

I'm disappointed that I won't be able to come to Colorado this fall. I was so looking forward to meeting with you for a "cuppa". Perhaps by spring, my "thorn in the flesh" will be improved. I hope so as I have some dear family and friends in Colorado I want to visit, as well as meet you, dear Ruthie.

Sweetie said...

What wonderful stories you have to share. Your memories are a wonderful reminder of all that is really important.
Sweetie

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

Good Afternoon Ruthie,

I love your childhood China stories, you have interesting memories. The Chinese people must have really loved you and your family.

Have a blessed Sonday,
Kathi :)

Nana Trish is Living the Dream said...

Ruthie, I loved the story about your cow. We are blessed and can usually travel around without problems. Lately we have to search and plan ahead on where to try and get gas. So many of our stations don't have gas and can't really tell you when they'll get it. When you find someone with gas the lines are crazy. I love hearing about your China stories. Thanks for reminding me to pray for our missionaries.

Skoots1moM said...

wow, what a memory...l like talking with people who have lived in other countries...

G.L.H. said...

Your story reminds me of stories of the Erie Canal (yeah, like the song...) First, they had to dig the thing, then they (or the mules) had to drag the barges all that way. Not the most efficient way to move freight! Glad they came up with the locomotive...

Great story!

--Barbara

Melanie said...

I love your stories!!! :)

SweetAnnee said...

Ruthie dear..I want to email you something..can you
email me
deena@deenawarner.com
so I can send it.. Just a little something..
love ya
ME

Charlotte said...

Another interesting China post. I love to read about your experiences there.