Thursday, May 29, 2008

China Childhood Memories #9 - Whoodza


We had a dog on our mission station. It was a big short haired Chinese mongrel dog. We just called him Whoodza (which means "dog" in Chinese). He was a watch dog, and was very ferocious with most people, especially the Chinese. He would nip at their heels, as he was trained to watch out for robbers and intruders. However, he adopted me as his favorite little person, and became my protector. I could do anything with him. I used to hold up his back legs and walk him around on his front legs like a wheelbarrow. I played with him and I loved him a lot.

One day, Whoodza saw me walking with interest towards a big banana leaf that was quivering on the ground. He pushed ahead of me, ran to the leaf, whipped out a snake from under it and threw it against the compound wall, breaking it's back. It was a poisonous snake and would surely have bitten me.

I thank the Lord for His protection of me that day.
As you pray for your missionaries, remember to pray for God's protection for the children and the dangers that they face in foreign countries.

10 comments:

Melanie said...

What an amazing story of God's protection! What an amazing dog!

Natalie said...

Ruthie, you are one of the first blogs I rush over to read. Your stories of inspiration and truth are such a blessing.

Robin said...

Wow! What an incredible story! It just shows us how much God loves the little children :) Great dog too!

Rose of Sharon said...

What a sweet dog! That is an amazing story. He must be a good judge of character if he picked you for a friend!!! It's neat how God can use animals to protect us!

Hugs, Sharon

Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity said...

Ruthie, Dogs are so smart! You were lucky to have such a faithful friend. Dogs do have a sense about them. And they are very good about protecting the ones they love. Have a beautiful day!
Hugs, Terrie

Mimi said...

God can protect us in unusual ways can't he!!!
Once again...I love your stories of your childhood in China...
blessings,
Mimi

Julie said...

I'm still here, just off line a few days. Thanks for the continuing stories/memories from your childhood. God was looking after you and your family, wasn't He?.

bp said...

Wow! Praise God for his protection! I loved the picture in my head of you walking the dog around on his front legs! I've told you before I think, but I enjoy your stories from China so much!

Deb said...

That was a lovely story Ruthie, I love God. Deb

Charlotte said...

I love your posts about your adventures in China. Seems like each one is better than the last. This is incredible.
Hugs.