Thursday, June 19, 2008

China Childhood Memories #12 - Flower Girl

I was asked to be the flower girl at a missionary's wedding. My Mom made my dress and wanted the finishing touch of pink lace. Not having dyes there in China, she soaked the lace in Mercurochrome (a red antiseptic that they used) and it turned out a wonderful shade of pink.

My special memory of that event was after the wedding. We came back to the Mission School compound for the reception. The children did not attend the wedding, and were waiting for the bride and groom to come so they could throw confetti (made from cut up colored paper). I was sad because I didn't have any confetti to throw. My precious Mom took off the corsage she was wearing and gave me the rose petals to throw. My rose "confetti" was the best of all.

In later years, I was so touched that my Mom had given up her beautiful corsage for me.

And then it reminds me of how our Lord gave up His Son to die on the cross for us all, so we could have Eternal Life by trusting in Him.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ruthie, I'm still on the day that I made my declaration to take some time off!! When I got the email, stating that I had a comment, I decided since it is not tomorrow I had to come and see what you had written about China!

Another lovely memory you have shared with us! Thank you for doing that!

Talk to you soon, Lord willing.

Technonana said...

Oh Ruthie!! What a precious memory of a loving mother!!! I love the part about dyeing the lace, too!!! Brings back memories of sacrifices made by my own sweet Mama.

bp said...

That is such a sweet memory to have....a very loving thing for a mother to do for her daughter.

Charlotte said...

I remember mercurchrome (I don't know how to spell it) from my childhood. What a wonderful innovation to use it as a dye. What your mother did for you was priceless. It brought tears to my eyes just hearing about it.

Anonymous said...

What precious memories you have of your mother.
Mama's do thngs like that because they love their children, and don't even think twice about it.Your mama simply loves you.
Have a good weekend,
Diane

Anonymous said...

What a lovely memory! My daughter loved being a flower girl!
That is a huge bouquet for such a little gal!☺

Sugarplum Cottage said...

How beautiful you were in that picture and still are. I wanted to thank you for visitin' me at The Cottage and hope you visit often. I have your name in the jar for the give-away and wish you good luck. Praise the Lord for loving us that much, even when we lest deserve it. His grace is wonderful. Hugs, RoseMarie

Deb said...

Another beautiful story Ruthie. Your mom was loving and kind and that was a beautiful thing she did. Deb

Jan Parrish said...

OH, that makes me cry. What a beautiful flower girl you were!

Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity said...

Ruthie, You were such a beautiful little girl. Now you are one the the most beautiful women I know. Inside and out!! I love hearing about the realtionship you had with your parents. They loved their daughter very much!!
Hugs, Terrie

Melanie said...

You were a very beautiful, sweet flower girl! I love black and white photos!

Julie said...

I remember that med. It burned like fire! You look just smoochable and cute as pie!

G.L.H. said...

What a wonderful memory. I just love how the Lord brings these analogies to our minds. And, just like you, I have made many "spiritual" connections with things my sweet Mother did for me.

Thank you for sharing!
--Barbara

Robin said...

How beautiful for so many reasons and the application is right on too.