Tuesday, June 24, 2008

China Childhood Memories - Rabid puppy


My Dad was very ill with Typhus. This is a disease that is caused by the bite of a rat flea (and rats were prevalent in China then). The mortality rate is high and my Dad was critical. Because the adults were all taking care of my Dad, someone felt that I would be lonely, so I was given a mongrel puppy. I can remember holding and carrying it around in the courtyard for several days. I noticed it wasn't acting right and told someone that I thought my puppy was sick. It was foaming at the mouth by then. They knew immediately that the puppy had rabies and took him away.

The Lord definitely protected me. Here I had been carrying around a rabid puppy for days, and it didn't bite me.

We can also thank the Lord that my Dad recovered from his bout with typhus and had no ill effects from it.
Above is a photo of my Dad and I when I was real little.

13 comments:

Charlotte said...

Isn't God amazing? I love these stories. Thank you for sharing again.

Rose of Sharon said...

Wow! That is truly amazing! I'm so glad that you didn't get bitten and that your Dad recovered! God is so good!

Technonana said...

Oh Wow, Our Amazing God!!! Protection for you and healing for your Dad!!

Cottage Contessa said...

Wow, that's amazing! I am very happy to hear that both you and your dear father were protected by our precious Lord. God is good! You have had such an interesting childhood sweetie. Amazing! Hope you're having a really lovely week Ruthie!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Natalie said...

Ruthie, I hope you are planning to publish these stories in a book! I feel like I am on this journey with you.

bp said...

I continue to be amazed at God's greatness as I read your stories!

Mimi said...

Just caught up on your last several posting...
lI am going to print off and use the 5 finger prayer reminder...
and I love to hear about your days in China...and how the Lord protected you while you were there...He certainly protected you from the rabid dog...
Praises.
Mimi

Mimi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie said...

Great.

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

I have so enjoyed reading your memories and experiences as a child in China. God is sooooo good, isn't He???? Is there a book in the making here?????

Cora

Natalie said...

Ruthie,
Thanks for encouraging my sister! That means so much. She stays busy with work but does enjoy blogging when she finds a second. She's wanting to be more consistant with it. Thanks again!
Hugs to You

Melanie said...

Wow! That is so amazing!! What a story! You and your family went through a lot..each time God delivered you and protected. Awesome!

Robin said...

Wow! God's hand of protection covered you and your family!