Saturday, January 17, 2009

China Childhood Memories - Rice Christians

In that faraway time in China, missionaries sometimes would offer rice to the people, and while they were eating, would give them the gospel message. There were those who came only for the meal, and not for the Spiritual food. They came for personal gain and did not show any true repentance or acceptance of the gospel. They were referred to as "rice Christians".

A few years ago, we had a little white dog who would come around at mealtimes looking for any scrap of food that we might drop. We sometimes laughingly called her a "rice Christian".

Tomorrow is Sunday. As we go to our various Church services, do we go only for what we can get out of the service, and complain or criticize, or do we go with an attitude of thankfulness and service to others? Do we go to see if we can also be a blessing to our Christian brothers and sisters - or are we just "rice Christians"?

15 comments:

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

Thank-you Ruthie,
I hope I go to Church tomarrow with an open heart.
Ginger

SmilingSally said...

Hopefully, we'll go to worship our most wonderful God.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Ruthie, I now know where that expressions came from. I love blogging, I learn something everyday.

Hugs,
Chris

Cherdecor said...

This post is PRICELESS! I had to read it to Alan this morning. He agreed that it was good!

Have a blessed Sunday in the Lord!
Hugs,
Cheryl

Anonymous said...

What an interesting post. I certainly don't want to be a rice Christian. Thanks for sharing this with us.
Have a great day.
Charlotte

Musings of A Minister said...

Splendid message. We are heading off to worship with a big question in our heads. We need to see if we can live out your message in real life.

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

Oh Ruthie, I love your China stories. I hope those rice Christians will always remember your generosity.

Have a blessed day,
Kathi :)

Susan B said...

Beautiful message, Ruthie. Thank you so much for sharing.

bp said...

Thank you Ruthie. That is an interesting story from China with such a relevant application.

a portland granny said...

I have heard that expression before, but didn't know from whence it came. Its a good phrase to ask ourselves from time to time! Thanks for sharing.

Technonana said...

An English teacher friend of mine has a saying that she post on her board every school year it says... wisdom dispensed here, bring your own container.
I think that can be said of us when we go to church with our container or CUP already full of 'stuff', we won't be able to retain what is dispensed there.
Gotta empty the stuff, so our cups can be filled!!

Sweetie said...

Your experiences in China must have been part of what made you the wonderful person that you are today. Thank you for telling us about rice Christians.
Hugs,
Sweetie

Sue said...

Hi Ruthie,
This is my first visit with you, and I really enjoyed my visit. I sense such a sweet spirit from you. I really do not want to ever become a "rice christian'. Very thought provoking, Thank you!!
Blessings.
Sue

Anonymous said...

Great post Ruthie!

Anonymous said...

Evening, Sweet Ruthie! Oh, this was a great post. I will remember your term 'rice Christian'. I don't want to ever be guilty of being one. Thank you, Dear One.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)