Friday, November 14, 2008

China Childhood Memories - The Nurse

For as long as I can remember, I wanted to be a nurse.

My Mom said it started as a little girl in China. My Mom was given an injection by the Missionary Doctor. I was watching the procedure and the doctor let me hold the cotton. He told me that I did a wonderful job and I could be his nurse someday.

The doctor left to go to another mission station. There were some problems with transportation, so he came back. As he was visiting with my parents, they noticed I was sitting very quietly in a corner by myself. I thought he had come back to take me to be his nurse.

From that time on, I talked about being a nurse.

As a child, I treasured "nurse things". As a young person, I read all the Cherry Ames books and books about Florence Nightingale. As a teenager, there were two nurses in our church, who encouraged me in my goal. Between my Jr and Sr year in Highschool, I worked as a nurses aide in the local hospital.
Right after graduation, I entered Nurses Training and Pediatrics became my specialty.

Remembering how I became interested in nursing, I would let a sibling hold the bandaide when giving an injection.

It is so nice, looking back on my nursing career, to know that the Lord has led me in all my endeavors. It makes me think of the Scripture verse in Psalms 37:23 "The steps of a good men are directed by the Lord. He delights in each step they take." (LB)

15 comments:

bp said...

This is another touching story. I love that you remembered the kindness shown to you as a child to get to hold the band-aid and you allowed children that privilege.

Melanie said...

Awesome story. It is amazing how the Lord guides us.

Jan Parrish said...

I love this story. I learn all kinds of things by reading your blog. I also have a similar story, but about writing.

When I was 7, I did my first report on horses. I loved researching and putting it all together. My teacher, Mrs. Pratt, told me I had a career in writing.

I loved Little Women because of Jo and all the stories about writers. Grampa encouraged me in writing. All I ever really wanted to do is write and be a mom.

Isn't it amazing how the encouragement we received as children literally shaped our lives? Shows the power of words - doesn't it?

I always assumed that you became a nurse because the opportunities for women were so few in those days. I'm pleased to hear that it was actually a calling. :)

Love you!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Ruthie! What a sweet story! I can feel your love and compassion for people through your posts. I'll be you were a wonderful nurse. You have always had that beautiful naturally wavy hair, haven't you? I'm not envious, no no not me. I just have the straightest hair you've ever seen!!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Ruthie said...

Jan,
That's so true about the power of words shaping our lives.
So our influence can be great with our grands and great grands, can't it? And such a blessing for grandchildren to have a spiritual heritage from their grandparents. :)
Love you too.
Mom

Natalie said...

I went into college as a nursing major. Once I got to anatomy and physiology, I hit the trail. Definitely not for me. It takes a special calling to be a nurse!!

Technonana said...

Wonderful story!! Clara Barton was one of my favorites when I was young!!

squawmama said...

Ruthie... this was a beutiful story... It takes a very special person to be a nurse... Both my daughters are in nursing school right now... One graduates on Dec 18th and the other next April... They have both worked in the medical field for the last 10+ years.. mostly in ER... I am proud of them and proud of you... You are our angels when needed... Thanks

(((HUGS)))
Donna

Anonymous said...

Ruthie, this was a very touching story. You are very sweet.

Hugs,
Chris

Robin said...

Neat post! You seem like just the type of person to be a pediatric nurse! I bet your little patients adored you :)

Jan,

I like your story too - encouragement goes a long way. We must all strive to encourage others along the way...

Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity said...

I loved reading your story. That was a very nice picture of you. We have many.. nurses in our family.
It takes someone with a big heart to be a good nurse.
Hugs, Terrie

Rose of Sharon said...

That is so cute that you knew that when you were just a wee one. I am so glad that your dream came true. I bet you were such a wonderful compasionate nurse!

Hugs, Sharon

Mimi said...

I love to read stories about your childhood...you had such an interesting life,
and now you see so many interesting places with your travels...
thanks for sharing

a portland granny said...

How wonderful that you always wanted to be a nurse. I did too. Having an RN mother, I would read her medical books, ask her endless questions, and couldn't wait to be a nurse. Even tho it was a childhood dream, I changed majors and ended up in medical social work and eventually ended up teaching. I have often had some regret I didn't follow through on the nursing, but have loved every part of my life's work.

I suspect you were a beloved nurse, often in demand. I think nurses are a special brand of people and I believe it is one of the highest callings to which a person can be called.

Ellen said...

I have to say how much I enjoy your blog. My dream was to be a nurse as well. I met my husband in nursing school, and thought I would drop out and become a mother and wife. I so many times wish I had continued on to my dream profession. Love the picture of you in your uniform. Now that is when nurses were nurses and got more respect than they do today. I also enjoy the nuns old habits, which I still have a few that walk by my house every now and then. :)EllenL