Tuesday, April 22, 2008

China Childhood Memories - my parents meet

Both of my parents were now in China, working in different mission stations. My Dad would ride his bicycle out into the country to preach. My Mom was still in language study. The summers were so hot in China, that the missionaries would spend six weeks at the CIM home in the Chungking hills. It was there, in the cool of the Chinese hills, that my parents met. Dad tells how he was captivated by her beautiful, expressive brown eyes. Mom, in turn, thought he was pretty cute, and admired the twinkle in his blue eyes. (He had a great sense of humor and was always smiling.)
Returning to their separate stations, Mom received a Chinese edition of the Reader's Digest in the mail, with a note from Dad saying he'd like to share it with her. From then on, notes became frequent.
Not wanting to start rumors, they had to keep their courtship a secret. Taking the Field Director into their confidence, Dad would send Mom letters in envelopes from the Field Director. Her fellow missionaries wondered why she got so many letters from the Director.
The mail had to go through robber country, and sometimes the letters would arrive opened. Mom wondered if she would someday see the contents of these letters pasted up as a Chinese window. (Not having glass, the Chinese would use paper to cover their windows).
Because of a robbery in a mission station in Luchow, Mom was transferred there to be with the lady missionary, and Dad was sent there for protection of the ladies and the station. He slept in the gate house to keep watch. They were never alone, but were able to get better acquainted.
By this time, they knew they were deeply in love.
They were praying about their future, wanting to be certain that God was leading them to serve the Lord together in China.

8 comments:

Technonana said...

Beautiful Story!! I hope your wrist heals quickly!!!

Ruthie said...

Thanks. In a different wrist brace now from my reg. ortho Dr. That should help. :)

Melanie said...

I LOVE this! Beautiful!

Robbie Iobst said...

Ruthie, I feel like I am watching a movie or reading a great romance! I am a sucker for those stories, especially true, of God hooking up Christians who are in the midst of working for Him. I love it! And they had to keep it secret at first. So great. What will happen next? I can't wait.
Thank you Ruthie!

Robin said...

Terrific story...I can't wait to hear more :)

Kristy said...

This is so wonderful. So sweet...

Flea said...

How very cool!

When I was a newlywed, my husband published a book for a couple who were missionaries to China from years. We have a copy on the shelf, complete with fold out photos, called The Land of Sinim.

bp said...

That's so neat! I'm enjoying reading this story.