Monday, January 4, 2010

China Childhood Memories - Christmas treats #30

Growing up in China during war time, things were very different from the present time - but very much the same in other ways.

Watching the children receiving their treats after the Christmas program brought back memories of our Christmas programs in China. We had programs similar to the children today.
There was singing, reading of the Christmas story, and recitations by the children. Then the missionary would give a talk about Jesus birth, illustrating it with pictures on a large easel.
There was opportunity for children and their parents to come and receive more information about the true God and accept Him as their Saviour.

After the program, the children were anxious for the treats. This was wartime in China, and sweets were not readily available. However, our treat was just as exciting and wonderful to us! We each received a container made out of newspapers, shaped like a cone, and filled with delicious peanuts still in their shells. How we enjoyed that special time!

In trying to make a replica of that cone, I ended up using scotch tape - which I'm sure they didn't have back in those days. Somehow, they were able to shape the newspaper so it would hold together for our special treat.

In so many lands today, missionaries again tell the wonderful story of Christmas to the children, giving them special treats from their area of the world. How blessed that they can receive the true meaning of Christmas. Let's remember to pray for our missionaries.

17 comments:

Kathi said...

Ruthie, This is such a simple treat, but so sweet that you children loved it and were thankful for it. Oh how I wish we could go back to simple and special things like the peanuts. I agree that we need to keep our missionaries in prayer. What a dear memory you shared today. Thank you, Kathi

Judi said...

Happy New Year Ruthie
Thank you for the warm birthday wishes you left for me.
I enjoyed your story and I can just feel the happiness and anxiousness you felt as you wainted to receive your special treat. That is a very special memory....
I hope you have a very happy and healthy 2010.
....and a lovely evening tonight...
Judi

Caroline said...

I really enjoy your little stories of growing up in China. Putting these memoirs on your blog is valuable not only to your family but to all of us. It makes me thankful for how much I have been blessed with.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ruthie, Happy New Year! I also agree that we should keep missionaries in our prayers. I love the cone you made and the memories you shared. This is a great idea and one that I will use in the future. Thank you. I belonged to Curves before and loved it. Your comment made me think about going aback again :>)

Joyfulsister said...

Hi Ruthie..
Happy New year Sis (((Hugz)))
I have missed your smiling face and I was so blessed that you stopped by. Thanks you once again for sharing about the Christmas treats in your China journey. I think the newspaper cone was such a creative idea and I know the children must have felt so thankful!

Blessings Lorie

Sue said...

Thank you Ruthie for sharing this special story today,I know that was such a special treat for them. What fond memories you have to share with us.

I agree we need to keep our missionaries in our prayers, thank you for reminding us.

SmilingSally said...

Sometimes the best memories are simple ones. Good to have you "back," Ruthie. Happy New Year.

♥ Kathy said...

Those are wonderful memories Ruthie ♥ So good to see you back blogging! I know how to shape a dollar bill into a cone and it folds into itself so it stays together...maybe that's the same way y'all did the newspaper..

Mimi said...

I love these stories of your childhood memories in China
thanks for sharing with us...

Cherdecor said...

I loved your story! It took me back to my childhood in the '40's when the church gave us Sunday School Treats. We were always given a brown bag with a few pieces of chocolate candy, some hard tac, an orange and a candy cane. We were thrilled beyond belief for such a treat and I know that you were too.

Shelley said...

What a lovely way to have a treat! What a great memory you shared. God bless all missionaries!

♥ Kathy said...

Good morning Ruthie :) You have an award HERE

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

This is a wonderful story. I'm I can just imagine how happy and excited these children were.
God Bless,
Ginger

G.L.H. said...

Thank you once again for sharing your China memories. A first-hand look at that time is so wonderful. It is difficult to convey to our children how special something can be; so little is "special" nowadays.

Susan B said...

Thank you for sharing your lovely story. I enjoyed reading it.

bp said...

Thanks for sharing another storied of China. I enjoy them!

prashant said...

I think the newspaper cone was such a creative idea and I know the children must have felt so thankful!

Work from home India