Saturday, October 25, 2008

China Childhood Memories - Two brothers


My Dad told the story of two Chinese brothers who were twins.

One (Twin A)was living uprightly and a source of pride to his family. The other (Twin B)had gone down the wrong path and was arrested for his wrongdoings. He was scheduled to be put to death by a firing squad in a few weeks.

Twin A went to see his brother in prison. As they talked, Twin B said "Oh, I am so sorry for my misdeeds and the pain it has caused my dear Mother. I wish I could see her one more time and tell her how sorry I am." Twin A had an idea. He said, "We look so much alike, that we could fool the guards. Let's exchange clothing and I'll stay here in your place. You hurry to the countryside where our Mama lives, and spend a little time with her. Then come back and we'll exchange places again."

Twin B hurried away on his mission, happy to see his Mother and ask her forgiveness. Finally, he gave her one last hug, and then started back to the city.

As he neared the city, he heard a great commotion outside the city walls. A noisy crowd of people were there. He asked someone what was happening. "There is going to be an execution!" the man shouted excitedly.
(In China, when there was an execution, the whole town came out to watch.)

With dread in his heart, Twin B pushed toward the front, but the crowd of people impaired his way. Could it be his brother by chance? He finally got to a place where he could see between the heads of the people and YES, it was his brother they were going to execute!
He screamed to them "Stop, you have the wrong man!" But they couldn't hear him above the noise of the crowd.

Before he could push his way through the crowd, he heard shots. His brother had died in his place. When he finally was able to wend his way to the scene, he knelt beside his brother, weeping. "It was supposed to be me ! I'm the one who was to be executed!" The authorities said "The price has been paid, you are free to go". Taking his handkerchief, he wiped the blood from his brother's face and said "When I am tempted to do wrong, I'll look at this hanky and remember that my brother died for my sins."
This is an example of how Christ died for us and our sins. The difference is that Jesus knowingly died for us when He went to the cross.
We need to accept His sacrifice, thank Him, and ask Him to come into our heart and be the Lord of our life.

20 comments:

bp said...

Wow, that is an amazing story. As I was reading I wondered if that would be the outcome.

Hope you're having a nice weekend.

Musings of A Minister said...

Absolutely fantastic. What a story. This will touch the heart of everybody who reads it. Thank you and bless you for sharing. Every week I look for your post but to no avail--no Ruthie! I'm glad you are back.

Charlotte said...

What a powerful story and what a good illustration for what Jesus did for us. And he did it on purpose. So amazing.
Thanks for sharing.
I'll post this under my Blogger post. (smile)
Charlotte

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing such a touching story. Our Lord Jesus did it all for us, willingly. Thank You Jesus!
Blessings-

Anonymous said...

Hi Ruthie. What a great story!! Praise God for Jesus!!
BE a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Kate said...

Wow!

And I love your blog; I'm going to link to it on mine.

Love,

Kate.

Jan Parrish said...

Great story. :)

Anonymous said...

Ruthie, that was a great and touching story.

Hugs,
Chris

SmilingSally said...

I've heard this story before, and I like it. Happy Spiritual Sunday!

squawmama said...

that was a great story... I enjoyed reading it.

(((HUGS)))
Donna

Kathleen said...

Powerful!

As I visit any number of bloggers, I am blessed by the many telling of the Gospel in one form or another on their sites. What a powerful medium for evanglism in cyberspace. I like the drama of your story; it's captivating - - just like His love for us.

Be blessed,
Kathleen

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

Wow! What an amazing story, not only of the trust and love between brothers but an amazing illustration of the love Jesus has for us. I love your stories from China :).

A wonderful blessed Sonday!
Hugs,
Kathi :)

G.L.H. said...

Another lovely China story--thanks for sharing.

I've tagged you for a meme!

Melanie said...

wow..wow..wow

Susie said...

Hi Ruthie,
What a touching story and heartfelt reminder. I always enjoy your posts about China.
Have a blessed Sunday..
xo

Terri Tiffany said...

I love your heading--came over here from Darcie's post. Awesome story!

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

What a great reminder of the price that has been paid for ME! I'm sure whoever reads this will be blessed once again by the reminder of the cross and the price that was paid for our redemption! Thank you!

Cora

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

WOW!! What a great great story. It brought tears to my eyes. And to know Jesus did this for us!
Thank-you so much for sharing this story. I will remember this story to pass along to my grandchildren.
God Bless,
Ginger

Technonana said...

Ruthie... I am still wiping my tears... Lord, Make us worthy of your precious sacrifice!!!

a portland granny said...

What a beautiful illustration of Christ's love for us. It is a sad earthly story, though. I love your China stories. Glad to see another one.